Welcome to the new Caroline School Blog! Please check regularly to read about and see what we're up to in school! You can leave comments by clicking on the comments link at the bottom of every post, and then where it says "Comment as," scroll down to "Name/URL" and just leave the URL part blank. Comments will only appear after they've been checked first! Also check out the other cool things on the blog, going down the right side!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Who's New at Caroline?!

This school year we are lucky to receive a whole bunch of amazing new adults at Caroline!  Read below to learn some information about the new faces you may see!


Mr. McDonald, Principal
Why I wanted to become a teacher/principal: Because I love children, love to have fun with them, and want to make a difference in their lives.

My hobbies include playing/coaching/watching football and spending time with my family

If I were an animal, I’d be an eagle, because when they fly into a storm, they use it to rise above and overcome the turbulent weather.



Ms. Graw (Ms. Emily), 1st Grade Teacher
Why I wanted to become a teacher: I believe every child has the right to an education, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, gender, and/or culture.

My hobbies include reading, traveling, and collecting treasures from around the world

If I were an animal, I’d be a bird, able to soar high, yet humble enough to land on the ground and appreciate her source of sustenance.


Mr. Beigel, 3rd Grade Teacher
Why I wanted to become a teacher: When I was a teenager, I started working at a summer camp.  I really enjoyed it, and decided it was something I wanted to pursue, so I did that for five summers!  Then at the end of it, I decided that teaching was something I wanted to pursue as an extension of my experiences, and so far it's been really good!  I like having an impact, seeing kids grow, watching the change that takes place through the year, and I like the connections that are made.

My hobbies include spending time with my family (I have three children!) and see them grow, running, skiing, reading, and playing guitar. 

If I were an animal, I’d be a Golden Retriever, because I like to be happy, and I think Golden Retriever are typically happy dogs, and great family members!  They're fun to be around, and I try to be a people-person.  (Plus they like to run around outside and play, and I like to do that too!)



Mr. Graham, 4th Grade Teacher
Why I wanted to become a teacher: I used help my younger nieces who were in elementary school do their homework.  They did not understand how to do multiplication and I helped them over the weekends to make sure they understood it.  When they both did well on their math tests, it made me feel good to know that I had a hand o their education.  They are my inspiration for becoming a teacher.  

My hobbies include playing the piano, reading books centered around education, and watching good movies with my wife.

If I were an animal, I’d be the Golden Lion Tamarin, because they are tiny but fierce little mammals!



Mrs. Badeau, Special Education Teacher
Why I wanted to become a teacher: I love watching children learn and being part of that experience.  There is something amazing about seeing a child’s face light up when they learn something new or if they suddenly understand it.

My hobbies include reading, writing, scrapbooking, painting, downhill skiing

If I were an animal, I’d be a bird because you see the world from a whole new perspective.  I also love to travel, so flying wherever and whenever I want would be awesome!



Ms. Allee, English Language Arts Teacher
Why I wanted to become a teacher: I have always enjoyed working with children.  I used to teach kids to swim, but I got waterlogged so now I teach them to read!

My hobbies include swimming, running, reading, cooking, playing with my kids

If I were an animal, I’d be a dolphin because I want to live in the ocean!




Mr. Zulu, Math Teacher’s Assistant
Why I wanted to become a teacher: I struggled with reading and writing myself as a child, and after working with high school-ers who felt like they were stuck being “bad” at reading and writing, I wanted to reach out to the elementary level to help them with their skills and confidence.

My hobbies include basketball, reading

If I were an animal, I’d be a salamander, because I adjust to different situations, whether on water or land!



Ms. Notarianni, Music Teacher
Why I wanted to become a teacher:  I've wanted to be a teacher for my entire life-- it's a joy to be a part of learning.  Plus, kids ROCK.

My hobbies include reading, telling stories, and being outside.  In addition, traditional social dancing has always been a part of my life-- contra dancing, English Longsword and Clog Morris teams, and waltzes.  When I lived in New England: Appalachian clogging, and when I lived in Kentucky: Southern Squares.  Now it's Lindy and West Coast swing dancing here in Ithaca.  I also travel to Louisiana to visit my musician friends and dance to Cajun and Zydeco music down there.  It's lots of fun as well as being a direct link to our living American heritage of traditional music and dance.  
   Of course....I also like to play music of all kinds (good thing, since I'm a music teacher!) with my friends, in bands, and by myself-- on piano, banjo, uke, guitar, concertina, and fiddle.

If I were an animal, I’d be... When I taught on the Navajo Indian Reservation,  I liked seeing how fast and silently coyotes move, and how splendidly eagles soar.  But I think it would also be awesome to be a dragon-- I mean, come on, being able to breathe fire?  How cool is that?  Not to mention swift horses and fierce tigers.  Hmmm....so many choices...



Ms. Bintz, Music Teacher
Why I wanted to become a teacher: I’ve known for awhile (since I was about 10) that I wanted to be a teacher!  I want to make people love music as much as I do!

My hobbies include hiking, food, singing, watching movies, traveling, and riding rollercoasters!

If I were an animal, some days I would want to be a bunny!  Other days I wish I could be an owl so I could fly and hang around at night.



Also, welcome back Ms. Goodmark, returning to Caroline as a 2nd grade teacher!  And Miss Coffey joined the special education team at Caroline!





3 comments:

  1. This was such a fun way to get to know fun facts about our new staff members! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great way to learn all about our awesome school! Thanks to Miss Coffey and whoever else is "behind the scenes" of the blog; keep up the great work!

    -Linnie (aka "Clio and Dot's mom")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job with the blog. My kids and I will be looking at this regularly. Thank you! Lisa R.

    ReplyDelete